The Trenches

So I had my last day at my new job today.


When I was going to announce my departure student A started with the usual buildup before she starts destroying the class. I had just given out some lollipops to some students who had been so well behaved all day, and she was not one of them. She (unnamed 2nd grader) slammed over her desk on the ground with all her force, raced over to the books and started throwing them around the room- then went to the word wall to start ripping words off the wall. I really wasnt feeling having her destroy the class so I took her out of the class, but as I did she kicked and threw and hit anything she could touch.

The assistant principal took over and briefly started to pick her up as if she was going to carry her off but maybe she got uncomfortable since that is technically illegal and went to get the counselor. Student A pushed over her desk again as the kids had picked it up for her in the meantime. Then the counselor came in and held her down on the floor while she screamed.

The assistant principal asked me to wait for the screaming to be over before I made my announcement. The kids looked pretty nonchalant waiting like "Yeh, another day another screaming violent child." Eventually said screaming student was taken away.

We told the kids I was leaving and their faces ranged from shocked to disappointed to gleeful (haha smh). One student asked to give me a hug. Another asked "Why do teachers always leave," and was quickly hushed.


Later during dismissal a fight broke out in the back of the class. I hauled one student away and it took all my strength. Second graders in fight or flight mode can be strong. He kept saying "He's gunnu get f*cked up," over and over as I took him out of the class. When I got him outside the doorway I saw tears in his eyes. I gave him a hug and he wanted to be hugged and to stay close to me the rest of dismissal. I would have normally tried to give him a consequence but it was my last day and I think there's a good chance he just suffers from neglect.

I need to share some of these stories. I don't think anyone is on here so it's a good spot. I wish I could have done it day by day but I didnt have time or energy anyways. Id come home after a crazy day and lay tired in bed zoned out. Then get up and do it again.

More to share later.

Comments

Popular Posts